For one out of five adults in the United States, reading this paragraph is either difficult or impossible. Twenty percent of adults have trouble with filling out forms, taking the DMV license exam without assistance, helping their children with homework, addressing an envelope, or writing a check.
The mission of our Literacy Services program is to help create a better informed community in which literacy helps parents read to their children, improves job prospects for adults, and leads families toward positive life choices.
Burbank Public Library has provided literacy services since 1992. We offer FREE one-on-one tutoring to people over the age of 16 who are not enrolled in high school and who speak and understand English, but read and write below 8th grade level. Burbank Public Library Literacy Services, a member of California Library Literacy Services, receives matching funds from the California State Library.
- Tutoring in reading is available for people 16 or older who speak and understand English but read and write below an 8th grade level.
- To enroll in the program you must schedule an interview during which an assessment to measure current reading abilities will be given.
- If you qualify for the program learners will be matched with a volunteer for twice a week tutoring sessions.
- To make an appointment for an interview, call 818-238-5577.
English Naturally: a Conversation Group
Want to improve your English conversation skills? Need to learn more American expressions?
Our conversation class, English Naturally, might be for you!
This group meets:
For Intermediate and Advanced Speakers — choose to join us in-person or on Zoom
Wednesdays 1:30 - 3 pm Burbank Central Library — 2nd floor Literacy Conference Room
Thursdays 10:30 am - 12 pm Burbank Central Library — 2nd floor Literacy Conference Room
Sign up for a Zoom link on our event calendar.
For Beginners: In-person Only — Saturdays 10:30 am - 12 pm Buena Vista Branch Library
- Volunteer tutors must be 18 or older. No experience is necessary.
- Tutors meet twice weekly with an adult learner (for a minimum of six months).
- To find out more about becoming a tutor, call 818-238-5577.
- Monthly Tutor Report
- Watch overview on becoming a volunteer tutor for the Adult Literacy Program
"Learning to read is hard; not learning is harder."